Best Vacuum Cleaner for Hardwood Floors
Using a vacuum cleaner is the best way to successfully remove dust and dirt particles from floor cleaning It is considered highly effective unlike sweeping and dusting where airborne particles settle back on the same surfaces after a while. Vacuum cleaners hardly raise any particles into the air and work by sucking them into the built-in dirtbag or container for safe disposal after clean-up. Some models also come with a blowing mechanism from the main unit in case you want to blow dust from surfaces, preferably outside the house or in well-ventilated spaces.
Factors to Consider when Buying Hardwood Floor Vacuum
There are a few factors to consider when acquiring a vacuum cleaner that will suit your needs.
- Think about the surface you will be cleaning most often: is it tiled, carpeted or a wooden floor cleaning? Vacuum cleaners tend to vary in terms of the surface they’re meant to clean, hence different working mechanisms across models. Canister and stick vacuums are a good solution to clean hardwood floors as they do not scratch the finishing on these surfaces.
- Carpets, on the other hand, trap debris, dust and dirt particles much more easily and may require heavy duty vacuums that have a beater bar equipped with bristles to loosen up these particles, ready to be sucked into the vacuum by suction.
- Other features to consider when buying a vacuum cleaner include the length of the cords (where applicable), battery capacity is powered by batteries or charged, weight and stability, inbuilt dirt trapping mechanism as well as dirt expulsion method when emptying and cleaning the unit.
- Some models include LED lights to illuminate the surface being cleaned, with others going as far as having sensors that detect and locate dirty areas to make sure you do not miss a spot.
Top 12 Hardwood Floor Vacuum Reviews
- Dirt Devil SD20000RED Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum
This vacuum cleaner boasts of a stick vacuum, a hand vacuum and an extended vacuum. All packed in one highly portable device. The stick vacuum consists of a handle and a base setup, which snap easily together in place to give you complete control when cleaning large expanses around your home. The hand vacuum is pretty easy to lift off the surface and tackle the occasional mess, dust or crumbs all over your space. The extended vacuum features a special tool for cleaning hard-to-reach crevices around the house which will save you from much agony and procrastination. This versatility is coupled with unmatched lightness at 3.8lb, for easy cleaning runs which will be a relief to your body.
- This model combines an extended vacuum and a hand vacuum, to make a sturdy stick vacuum that caters for easy cleaning.
- The vacuum cleaner is ready to use straight from packing and does not require additional setup or technical expertise to get the unit up and running.
- Each function of the unit is relatively easy to use and very straightforward in its application.
- For quick clean-up and even extended use in cleaning large areas, this vacuum easily delivers on its purpose.
- The fitted filter is easy to access and can be removed, rinsed and dried before the next use.
- Long periods of using the device during cleaning may result in its heating up all around its body, rendering it hot to touch.
- The suction mechanism in the main unit may slowly wear down over time, reducing its efficiency.
- The fitted filter model that comes with the unit may prove a little difficult to find a replacement for in the market in case you need a spare one.
- Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum with OnePass
This bagless vacuum cleaner model presents a lightweight cleaning solution, complete with suction built to assure maximum pickup of dust particles in the initial run. It has a novel brush design that works flawlessly to loosen and detach debris, cleaning surfaces to your satisfaction. A special tool that can be used for cleaning special surfaces such as upholstery and stairs is integrated into the main unit. The dirt bag used with this model features several filtration levels and is easy to remove and empty. The foam filter tank can also be washed to assure an extended life of the unit. For cleaning areas that may be out of normal reach, look no further than the turbo brush, crevice tool and upholstery brush that form part of this model, adding to its versatility.
- The suction in this model is great and works well in tackling pet fur embedded in surfaces around your home.
- The brush design is perfect for loosening particles for pickup into its dirt cup, minimizing runs for complete unit clean-up.
- It features a turbo brush, a crevice tool and an upholstery brush to clean hard-to-reach areas of your space much more easily.
- Dust levels are kept to a minimum during cleaning operations, through a series of filters inside the main unit.
- An easy to remove and empty dirt bag on the main unit provides a seamless emptying process.
- This model features a short hose which may prove challenging when cleaning large surface expanses.
- It is delivered unassembled and may require a little patience and know-how as well as additional tools to properly set it up for the initial run.